Jr. Design Strategist
Freelance (project-by-project basis)
Location: Ottawa or Remote
Outwitly is looking for a post-grad student currently completing their Master of Design or a recent grad of the Bachelor of Industrial Design program to work on a part-time, freelance basis as a Jr. Design Strategist. This is a great opportunity if you would like to gain real-world experience in design strategy and user research, work with clients and build your portfolio.
You’ll work on complex projects, creating customer journey maps, experience maps, ecosystem diagrams, insight reports, as well as conduct in-depth interviews, contextual observations, diary studies, and much more. This is also an opportunity to help facilitate participatory design workshops to co-create service design solutions.
This position is mostly remote, with some face-to-face collaboration in Ottawa. You have the flexibility to work according to your own schedule. There is also a possibility to grow this role into full-time employment.
About Outwitly Inc.
Outwitly Inc. is a design think tank and consulting firm based in Ottawa, Ontario using human-centered design and research methods to solve complex business problems and create end-to-end user and customer experiences that are delightful and consistent across all channels.
As design thinkers, Outwitly’s mission is to challenge the status quo and create innovative solutions that ultimately make people's lives better. Specializing in designing experiences (both digital and analogue) that involve many different perspectives and people, that are multi-touchpoint services, and seem too hairy to handle.
Outwitly’s services include experience strategy, user research, service design, design thinking for business, and workshops.
Who are we looking for?
You are a good match if you:
- Love thinking through a challenge and understanding the “why” behind a problem
- Are a visual communicator, have excellent story-telling and presentation skills - you are able to distill complex information/ideas into something digestible and compelling.
- Are a self-starter, capable of working independently, setting deadlines and meeting them
- Hold yourself and others to a high standard - you care about the quality and thoughtfulness of your work output
- Enjoy the ambiguity and fuzzy-front end of the design process
- Are a natural systems thinker - and are able to understand the whole context of an organization and the relationships between their products and services
- Are obsessed with the human experience and see ways it can be improved wherever you go
- Able to move seamlessly between macro and micro thinking - see the big picture and also able to think through the details of a product or service interaction
- Interested in service design, design thinking, and customer experience
- Interested in ethnographic and design research methods - interviews, observations, diary studies, card sorting, workshops, etc.
- MDes post-graduate student or recent graduate from B.I.D.
- Have demonstrated experience working through the end-to-end design process, especially working from discovery to concept creation
- Excellent visual communication skills (must have demonstrated ability to create diagrams, presentations, etc)
- Proficient in Adobe Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.)
How to apply:
Please email the following to email@example.com with the subject line: Jr. Design Strategist
- Sample portfolio/work pieces of 2-3 projects (can be individual PDFs, images, or a portfolio link). The projects you choose should show your ability to think critically through a problem using design methods and be highly visual.