Outwitly Inc is seeking a hands-on, driven, and insightful Director of Service Design to help us tackle our client projects, manage our junior to senior UX and service designers, and expand our company and team.
We are a consulting firm specializing in UX and service design. Our team is small and tight-knit, but growing fast! We are looking for someone who is excited to help us continue that upward momentum. Outwitly’s projects are typically end-to-end, involving explorative, generative, and evaluative research, as well as UX and UI design. The majority (but not all) of our projects involve modernizing legacy systems and understanding complex user journeys and business processes. We often work on public sector projects across Canada, as well as in healthcare, finance, tech, and insurance.
This role has the potential to evolve into VP or C-level positions, so we are looking for someone who is excited to grow with Outwitly over the years to come.
Outwitly is 100% remote. We are looking for candidates to work remotely within Canada (ideally within the EST, MST, or CST timezone). Candidates must be able to work and attend meetings during regular business hours M-F.
Due to the nature of our work, who our clients are, and the security requirements of our projects, candidates must be physically located in Canada in order to work with us. Of course, travel to see family and for fun is totally okay. We will not accept applications from candidates living outside of Canada.
- Lead design and research projects: Act as a project lead for our client projects. This will involve conducting mixed-methods research, analyzing data, uncovering insights that lead to innovation, reporting on findings, creating deliverables such as journey maps and service blueprints, distilling business and user requirements into product roadmaps, and developing design recommendations, and more. The project lead is also responsible for planning the project, ensuring the client’s satisfaction, leading the team, delegating, and coordinating resources.
- Write proposals (including proposing research methodologies, scoping efforts, drafting project schedules, coordinating with other team members, etc.)
- Attend client meetings and take discovery calls: The Director of Service Design will assist the CEO in pitching and winning business.
- Management and mentorship: Manage junior to senior-level service designers, researchers, and UX designers. Provide mentorship and training to staff and associates, checking in with them regularly.
- Recruiting: Assist in our recruiting/staffing efforts, including conducting interviews with UX designers, service designers, and researchers for client projects.
- Thought leadership: Contribute to Outwitly’s blog and social media, speak at conferences, etc.
- Company culture: Outwitly is still in its infancy. As such, our company culture is evolving, and we must be intentional about how we nurture our employees, collaborate, and create a safe place to work and have fun at the same time! This person would help to define our company culture.
MUST HAVE QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years of experience in service design, UX design, and/or UX research (ideally has worked first-hand experience in all of these roles)
- 2+ years of experience in management or lead roles – managing staff, leading projects and teams, etc.
- Demonstrated experience working on complex, end-to-end projects in UX and digital service design projects in cross-functional teams (moving from discovery research to design, testing, and development)
- Demonstrated experience planning, conducting, and analyzing qualitative research (interviews, observations, diary studies, co-design workshops, desk research, jurisdictional scans, etc.)
- Excellent soft skills and high EQ (must have excellent communication skills both written and oral)
- Ability to work within a self-directed culture and navigate ambiguity
- Expert knowledge of UX Design, Human-Centered Design, UX Research, Service Design, and a good understanding of Product Development.
- Proficient in Google Suite, Slack, Zoom, Microsoft Suite, Figma, Miro, Adobe Suite, etc.
- Genuine, down-to-earth, and a positive person (with a growth mindset!)
- English proficiency: primary, bilingual, or professional proficiency required
- Master’s degree or postgraduate diploma (design, psychology, innovation, interaction design, HCI, etc.)
- Strong design sensibility and visual communication skills (able to create research and design artifacts that are not only useful but beautiful)
- Experience working in the public sector is considered a plus
- Experience working in Agile environments
- Experience working in an agency or consultancy environment.
- Experience writing proposals or responding to RFPs
YOU ARE A GOOD MATCH, IF YOU ARE…
- You are passionate about improving human experiences through design and research.
- You light up when you see a “juicy”, complicated project and can’t wait to dive into the data to see what’s really going wrong and how the service or product could be improved.
- Happy to work in a small, close-knit team and help us grow!
- You see problems and solutions everywhere, you’re always thinking about how something could be better – whether it’s a travel experience, an app on your phone, or renewing your driver’s license.
- You approach things systemically and are a natural at zooming out to see the big picture, then diving in to nail the important details. You get a lot of pleasure in seeing projects through.
- You love systems! We are always looking for ways to systematize our internal workflows and wear our service design hats when looking internally at how we operate.
- Comfortable communicating with sophisticated clients (senior VPs and executives).
- Driven: You are a professional, goal-orientated, and self-motivated individual.
- Excited, just as much as we are, to build Outwitly into the go-to UX & service design consultancy in North America!
ABOUT OUTWITLY INC.
Outwitly Inc. is a UX & service design consultancy based in Ottawa and Winnipeg. We use design thinking and human-centred design and research to solve complex business problems, and we work closely with our clients to create end-to-end user and customer experiences that are delightful and consistent across all channels and touchpoints.
Outwitly’s mission is to challenge the status quo and create innovative solutions to improve people’s lives. Our services include UX design, UX research, service design, staffing, and training. Outwitly Academy is our online university where we offer courses to organizations and professionals on topics such as design research, service design, usability testing, agile product development, and more.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Outwitly is a woman-owned company. Over 70% of our team members (including associates) are women, and over 50% are Black, Indigenous, or People of Colour.
The foundation of Outwitly is our commitment to improving human experiences, and no human being is excluded from this mission. This means everyone has a seat at the table, and all voices are invited, heard, and respected. We believe inclusion and diversity drive innovation, a core proponent of our organization. Read more about our commitment to DEI here.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 15th, 2022, with the subject line: Director of Service Design
- Cover letter (explaining how your experience is a match for the position)
- Resume (long format preferred, will accept 1-2 pages as well)
- Portfolio (website, PDF, or work samples are acceptable)
Please note that you must already be legally entitled to work in Canada.