Outwitly Inc. is looking for several service designers to fill a 12-month, full-time contract in the public sector, with a possible extension up to an additional 24 months. Applications are due by June 30th for a start date in early September 2022.
This is an exciting opportunity to work within an innovative government department on projects such as law, indigenous affairs, children’s services, education, and more.
The ideal candidate is a highly strategic and systems thinker with a proven ability to plan and execute end-to-end service design and research projects. You’ll conduct ethnographic research, data analysis and synthesis, usability testing, and co-design workshops. You’ll also participate in traditional agile meetings (stand-ups, sprint planning and review, retrospectives) and other ad hoc sessions.
You’ll be an expert at creating design deliverables, which can include insights reports, customer journey maps, service blueprints, service prototypes, roadmaps, and more.
The position is remote but may require occasional travel when safe to do so.
Note: While we are looking for individuals to work on a contract basis, Outwitly is open to hiring select candidates as full-time permanent employees.
Who are we looking for?
You are a good match if you are:
- A natural systems thinker––and are able to understand the whole context of an organization and the relationships between their products and services.
- Highly familiar with the end-to-end HCD process and have experience working through discovery to concept creation.
- A visual communicator, with excellent story-telling and presentation skills––you’re able to distill complex information/ideas into something digestible and compelling.
- Highly collaborative and able to instill project teams with the confidence to explore innovative solutions while also meeting strict deadlines.
- Someone who holds themselves and others to a high standard––you care about the quality and thoughtfulness of your work output.
- Comfortable working across program teams in the co-design and delivery of processes and policy
- 2+ years of professional experience in service design research and related output
- Experience working as a service designer on large scale projects in service innovation, program review, and/or digital transformation
- Experience working in the public sector as a service designer is considered an asset
- Experience planning, conducting, analyzing, and reporting findings from qualitative field research, including user interviews, observations, and so on
- Strong knowledge of human-centered design and design-thinking practices, methods, and trends
- Experience planning, observing, analyzing, and reporting on usability testing of production or prototype systems
- Experience working in a cross-functional team to deliver a digital service, including service prototyping
- Experience working with change management, policy changes, and/or other organizational change as part of service transformation and implementation
- Experience planning, facilitating, and reporting on co-design workshops with users
- Experience with Agile methodology, and concepting, ideation, and iterative prototyping
- Undergraduate degree in industrial design, human-computer interaction, psychology, or related field
- Master of Design (MDes) is considered an asset
About Outwitly Inc.
Outwitly Inc. is a UX and service design consultancy based in Ottawa and Winnipeg. We use design thinking and human-centered design and research to solve complex business problems, and we work closely with our clients to create end-to-end user and customer experiences that are delightful and consistent across all channels and touchpoints.
Outwitly’s mission is to challenge the status quo and create innovative solutions to improve people’s lives. Our services include UX design, UX research, service design, and professional training.
How to apply:
Please email the following materials by June 30th, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: Service Designer Contract
- Sample portfolio pieces of journey maps, personas, process mapping, UX design, and or/ service blueprints (a link, PDF, or individual files are acceptable)
Visa Requirements: Please note that you must already be legally entitled to work in Canada.